We've been told repeatedly just how dangerous, illegal, and irresponsible it is to drink and drive. Unfortunately, many people stll decide to throw caution tot he wind and get behind the wheel after consuming large quantities of alcohol. Below are some DUI facts that reveal that the issue of drunk driving remains a serious problem in our country and illustrates just how many lives are affected by drunk driving and drunk driving accidents.
- Over 11,000 people are killed in drunk driving accidents each year in the United States – and one person dies in a drunk driving accident every 45 minutes.
- Just under 1.5 million people are arrested for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol each year. An estimated half of these drivers have suspended licenses.
- Half of all holiday driving accidents involve drunk driving and alcohol. More than half of all car accidents on weekends also involve drinking and driving.
- The average person arrested for drunk driving has driven drunk almost 100 times without getting caught before their DUI conviction.
- Alcohol-related car crashes cost the United States over $100 billion a year.
- According to MADD, thirty percent of people will be involved in a car crash involving alcohol at some point in their lives.
- About 1 in 140 drivers have been arrested for drunk driving.
- Males between the age of 18 and 35 are the most likely to be arrested for drunk driving.
- According to the CDC, an estimated 4,500 teens are killed each year in drunk driving accidents.
For more information about drunk driving accidents and the legal rights that injured victims may have when seeking compensation from the at-fault driver, take a look at these articles:
- Our Firm's Stance on Drunk Driving and Whom We Choose to Represent
- Find Out Just How Many Drinks It Takes to Get Drunk
- What To Do If You're Seriously Hurt in a Car Wreck