Dog Bite Injury Statistics In North Carolina And South Carolina
· 4.7 million people are bitten by a dog each year - that's two percent of the population.
· Each year, 800,000 dog bite injury victims are injured severely enough that they require medical attention.
· Fifty percent of dog bite victims are children, and most dog bite injuries to children occur on their face and neck.
· Someone rushes to the hospital one every minute because they have been mauled by a dog.
· The health care system spends a shocking $165 million a year treating dog bite injury victims.
· Dog ownership is increasing every day - and so are dog bite incidents.
· The majority of dog bite attacks are unprovoked.
· Three out of four dog bite attack cases happen on the victim's property.
· Dogs maul an average of ten to twenty people to death each year. Many dog bite deaths happen to the very young or the very old.
· Each year, 6,000 people must be hospitalized for an extended period of time because of their dog bite injuries.
· Although many dog breeds have a history of attacking children, pit bulls are known to attack adults as well.
· Dogs are more likely to attack if they are 1.) male 2.) not fixed and 3.) chained.