An 11 year old boy was killed and his mother seriously injured in the same Boone, N.C. Best Western hotel room where a Washington couple were found dead in April. According to police, the victim’s father called hotel staff when he couldn’t reach the mother. The boy was found dead and his mother in a deep state of asphyxia. She was rushed to the Watauga Medical Center where she currently listed in stable condition. The Watauga County Health Department ruled the cause of the child’s death, and his mother’s injuries, was carbon monoxide poisoning.
In April, an elderly couple, who family members describe as being in “good health, was also found dead in Room 225. Initial autopsy reports were inconclusive as to the cause of death and samples were sent to N.C. Office of Chief Medical Examiner. Two days after the boy’s death, new toxicology tests confirmed the couple also died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The room is situated directly above an equipment room with a natural gas heater for the enclosed indoor pool. Just weeks before the Washington couple died, a Watauga Health inspector ordered the Best Western to fix ventilation problems immediately. On March 6, the inspector wrote, “Chemical/Equipment room is required to have natural cross ventilation or forced air ventilation. This must be corrected ASAP.” There is no record that the hotel ever fixed the problem.
The family of the couple who were killed in the room has retained a wrongful death attorney to help investigate what happened to their parents. In a released statement, the attorney said, “It is simply inconceivable that the hotel would choose to rent the same room to others while toxicology results were pending . . .”
Our North Carolina wrongful death law firm has represented many families of victims who were tragically killed through the negligence of others. We have also published an in-depth legal guide on the North Carolina wrongful death claims process.