Rick has practiced personal injury law for over twenty years. He is a Board Certified Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy (ABA Accredited) and has handled personal injury cases throughout the eastern United States, including wrongful death, trucking, faulty products, railroad and medical negligence claims.
Read what some of Rick's clients say about him
Rick's professional accolades and accomplishments
- Recognized as a "Best Lawyer in America" by U.S. News & World Report (since 2009)
- Rated "AV" Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Law & Politics Magazine in the field of personal injury law (state: VA, since 2010)
- Ranked as a top-100 trial lawyer by the American Trial Lawyers Association.
- Chairman of the Railroad Trial Lawyers Association
- Rick is an inventor, holding 14 U.S. patents relating to compact, folding wheel axle technology applied to wagons, carts, jogging strollers and other products. He also has been granted several international patents and several of his designs are used on products sold in the US and internationally.
Presentations & Speeches
- Rick has lectured before lawyers with the AAJ, VTLA and GTLA, on evidence law and railroad law
- Invited Presenter: AAJ Seminar on Corporate Represenative Depositions (February 2012).
- Invited Presenter: "End Distracted Driving", Jamestown High School in Williamsburg, VA (January 2013).
Prominent Reported Legal Decisions
- Ratliff v. Norfolk Southern Railway Co., 2009 WL 649268 (March 12, 2009) (Link to WV Supreme Court Opinion)
- Payne v. CSX Transportation, Inc., No. 2-231-07, (Dec. 27, 2013) (Link to TN Court of Appeals Opinion)
- Bilenky v. Ryobi Technologies, Inc., et.al, No. 2:13-cv-00345 (E.D. Va. June 26, 2015) (Link to Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals opinion upholding $2.5 million jury verdict)
- Railroad Health & Safety; a Litigator’s Guide, Co-Author, 72 Am. Jur. Trials, p.1 (West).
- Using Medical Evidence to Maximize Personal Injury Case Damages, The Journal of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Vol. 21, No. 1, 39-46 (2009).
- Statistics Evidence in Injury Cases: Excluding It or Infusing It in Direct Exam?, The Journal of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Volume 23, No. 2, 3-6 (2012) (Link to article here).
- Author and Editor for three health and safety blogs on The Legal Examiner.
- Top 10 Civil Justice Stories, The Legal Examiner, 2015 and 2016.
- North Carolina
- West Virginia
- Washington, D.C.
- Has litigated cases throughout the eastern U.S.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- 4th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Numerous Federal courts