Welcome to Shapiro, Appleton & Duffan, a firm comprised of North Carolina personal injury lawyers serving Elizabeth City, the Outer Banks, Kitty Hawk, Raleigh, Charlotte, and throughout NC.
You’re probably visiting us because you, or someone close to you, suffered a serious injury or wrongful death. Searching for an ethical, trustworthy law firm makes sense and we're here to help. But keep in mind, we don’t accept every case. Our firm accepts clients who are seeking ethical, trustworthy representation.
Questions Answered by Our Team of Experienced Outer Banks Car Accident Attorneys
- What type of financial damages can I try to recover?
- Should I give the insurance company a recorded statement?
- How can I get paid my lost wages and other expenses?
- Are the laws applying to wrongful death different from personal injury?
- Who will pay my medical bills and other medical-related expenses?
Strong Reputation in North Carolina (NC) and Beyond
Our team of Outer Banks personal injury lawyers are known throughout North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and the Eastern U.S. as a Tier 1 “Best Law Firm” (according to U.S. News & World Report, for personal injury and railroad worker injury law). We also possess the prestigious "AV" Preeminent rating on Martindale-Hubbell and an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau. In addition, attorneys at our firm are respected in the legal community and leaders in the law. For example, Kevin Duffan is a legal analyst for ABC Channel 13 News offering his advice on breaking news, legal issues and controversies.
Accolades and Professional Accomplishments
- "Superb" 10.0 rating on Avvo, a prominent lawyer rating service
- Editors of the nationally-recognized Legal Examiner (a health and safety web site).
- Our track record of large, multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements
Types of Cases Our Kitty Hawk Injury Attorneys and Outer Banks Accident Lawyers Handle
- Auto accidents & wrecks - Whether they occur on Highway 168, Highway 12, Juniper Trail, or anywhere else in North Carolina, car wrecks can cause serious harm requiring weeks or months of rehabilitation and missed time from work. Our team of Outer Banks car accident lawyers can help.
- Truck and tractor-trailer accidents – Getting hit by a tractor-trailer, big rig, or 18-wheeler on Interstate (I-95) or anywhere else can be a life-altering incident. Large trucks cause significant damage to smaller vehicles. In addition, large trucking companies employ teams of defense attorneys and claims adjusters. Level the playing field by hiring one of our experienced North Carolina truck accident lawyers.
- Wrongful death – Losing a loved one is heartbreaking and can be especially traumatic if the loss is sudden and unexpected (like losing someone in an accident). Let us help take some of the burden off your shoulders so you can focus on the grieving process.
- Traumatic brain injuries – Serious accidents can result in you or a loved one suffering a traumatic brain injury or serious head wound that may result in memory loss, speed loss, and/or the inability to use your arms or legs. Our North Carolina brain injury law firm has significant experience handling traumatic brain injury cases. In fact, our firm (along with co-counsel) obtain a record-setting jury verdict involving a client who suffered a TBI.
- Railroad worker injuries – If you or a loved one was hurt while working for a railroad like Norfolk Southern, CSX, Burlington Northern, etc. you may have a claim under the Federal Employers Liability Act (FELA). Our Virginia railroad injury law firm has decades of experience representing injured trainmen, switchmen, engineers, conductors, etc. In fact, our railroad injury law firm was founded by a former railroad worker who got hurt on the job, then decided to go to law school and represent fellow railroaders.
- Railroad worker diseases – Whether you were diagnosed with mesothelioma due to asbestos exposure or developed lung cancer after breathing in diesel exhaust fumes for years, we can help. Claims brought by railroad workers based upon a life-threatening disease also fall under the FELA.
- Defective products and dangerous drugs – If you or a loved one was harmed by a consumer product or prescription drug, you may be able to file a claim against the manufacturer for your injuries, time missed from work, and pain and suffering.
- Other serious accident and injuries – Whether you were seriously hurt in a motorcycle accident, slip and fall, or suffered an electric shock, our team of OBX personal injury attorneys are here to help. We have decades of experience handling a wide array of injury cases.
Proudly representing clients in North Carolina and South Carolina
Our North Carolina car accident law firm has offices in the Outer Banks (OBX) area of North Carolina, specifically in Kitty Hawk. However, we practice personal injury law in all areas of North Carolina (NC) including Ahoskie, Camden, Charlotte, Corolla, Currituck, Dare, Durham, Elizabeth City, Edenton, Greensboro, Greenville, Goldsboro, Halifax, Havelock, Kinston, New Bern, Northampton, Pasquotank, Perquimans, Raleigh, Roanoke Rapids, Rocky Mount, Tarboro, Wilson, and Winston-Salem. We also serve the the Outer Banks towns of Kill Devil Hills, Manteo, Nags Head, Corolla and so on.
For personal injury clients in South Carolina (SC), we are ready to help in Anderson, Charleston, Clemson, Columbia, Darlington, Florence, Greenvile, Myrtle Beach, Orangeburg, Rock Hill, Spartanburg, Summerville along with any other town, city or county in the Palmetto State as we maintain a South Carolina law license as well.
Furthermore, attorneys at our firm hold multi-state licensure, meaning we can practice law in multiple states. We are currently licensed in North Carolina (NC), South Carolina (SC), Virginia (VA), West Virginia (WV), Kentucky (KY), and Washington, D.C.